The information contained in this article is for informational purposes only
and is not meant to be a substitute for the advice provided by your own
veterinarian. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing
the health of a Westie - you should always consult your own veterinarian.
The example below should be used for example purposes only. Each individual
Westie should have a treatment program tailored especially for that Westie
depending on the severity of the Malassezia and the Westie’s overall
condition of health:
- Cortisone shot
- Clavamox tablet twice daily for 2 weeks
- Low doses of prednisone for 4 weeks
- Synotec, 2-3 drops in each ear twice daily (prior to Otomax) for 2 weeks
- Otomax twice daily in each ear for 2 weeks
- Bath twice a week in Malaseb shampoo for 6–8 weeks
- Bath once a week in Malaseb or Micro-Tek shampoo until skin is clear
- Ketoconozale ¼ tablet, twice daily for 6-8 weeks
- Revisit vet for more blood work after one month
- Ketoconozale ¼ tablet, twice daily for 4 more weeks
- 0.23 ml Ivomec orally by syringe daily for 4 weeks (for Demodex)
- Revisit vet for check up after another month
- Micro-Tek Medicated Spray as needed
- Science Diet Z/D, feed twice a day
- Nutro Lamb & Rice treats
The photo above right and the two photos below are of Arie the first week in rescue.
The below photos were taken of Arie in May 2002.
The photo below left was taken in June 2002; and the photo below right was taken at the Westie Rescue Parade of Rescues - August 2002.
And the beautiful boy pictured below is Arie - September 2002!
Back to Malassezia main page